4.26.2009

the mongol herdsman


Friend P won free tickets to see The Thermals playing at The Marquis Theater in Denver on Friday and since D decided to be a lame-o and bail on him, I got to go instead. But I would've paid. Honest. And, weirdly for a Friday night and a fairly popular band (or at least I thought so anyway) they weren't sold out, so I could've. The Shaky Hands, another band I love quite a bit, opened. They put on a pretty good, albeit short, show and the place was still empty enough at this point to see them pretty well. This was one of those weird times that the band looked exactly like I'd pictured them. Imagine Bob Ross growing his hair really, really long and learning how to play bass. Or a bunch of highly social misfits who know how to rock. Either one.

Then it was The Thermals' turn. And their set was killer. They rock just as good live as they do on record. Sadly for P, by this point the place had filled up pretty well and The Mongol Herdsman decided to stand right in his way. And I got to stand next to Too Drunk to Stand Up, But Not Too Drunk to Wave My Arms in the Air and Almost Decapitate the People Around Me guy. And the Couple Who Likes to Square Dance (and Get In Everyone's Way) Even to Punk Music Which Isn't Really Square Danceable.

Other than the minor annoyances provided by the crowd, the show was great, they played almost all of my favorite songs and it really made me want their new album even though I doubt they'll be able to top their last, The Body, The Blood, The Machine.

2 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

So I'm back and trying to catch up on all I missed. SO sorry to hear about your dog.

Michael5000 said...

You've got excellent taste in PDX bands. The Thermals have such a great sonic attack that it takes a while to notice that the songwriting is freaking brilliant.