4.25.2009

1 23 98 - 4 23 09


Boo. Bootasm. Spasimodo. Pupadoo. Shorty. Meeestair Spazzy Pants (said with a French accent). R-dog, of course. And for the last couple of months for some reason, Puppy. I miss her. I understand the meaning of bereft now. I'm most definitely adrift. I didn't realize how much of my day was wrapped up in her. Walking her, talking to her, feeding her, just plain ol' existence, but it happened every single day for the past eleven years and three months. There's literally a hole in the room where her bed used to be. It sounds completely insane to be this sad about a dog, but she was with me for most of my adult life—she was my strongest, most long-lasting relationship. What pathetic things that says about me, I don't know, but it's true. She was a constant in a lot of moves, some sad times and more happy ones. She saw two different cars, five towns and many people come and go. A huge part of my identity was reliant on her being there.

I know it will get, if not better, easier and I'm already starting to learn how to be without her around, but this is...hard.

4 comments:

LSL said...

I'm sick about this. I've been sick about it all day. I'm so sorry - you've truly lost a friend. Our lives do revolve around the simple rituals of providing for and loving our pets. It sounds like the Pupadoo saw a lot of life. Dogs are amazing companions.

It's been over a month and we are still devastated over the loss of Amos, my sister's dog, to the point where we can't really talk about it. We're trying to be comforted by how happy he was for almost his entire life - he was so loyal and wanted nothing more than to please my sis and BIL. Well, that and a little piece of whatever it was that we were eating at the table each night. I bet you gave your buddy a really good life, and he obviously did the same for you.

Rebel said...

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet after so long. I still miss Sally. They really do become a significant part of your life. Big hugs...

dylan said...

Companions are companions. Life isn't the same without them. Goodbye and thank you, R-dog.

Michael5000 said...

Oh damn, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that, d.