3.03.2009

at least the stock market is up today


I met with my financial adviser yesterday hoping that she might be able to quell the growing level of dread I feel every day when I look at my stock ticker. Her advice: ride it out, stop looking at your stock ticker and maybe start shopping at Wal-mart instead of Whole Foods.

A friend said yesterday that we have to get used to this. That this is now the way life will be forever from here on out. That we needed to live more frugally anyway. And, while I mostly agree with her, I'm sick of wondering every day if this is the day when I have to finally buckle down and cancel cable TV. And then hating myself for whining about maybe having to get rid of cable when there are millions of people around the world who can't even afford electricity let alone worry about whether they will miss the latest episode of 'Lost'.

I miss the heady days of the early Oughts. When I didn't have to spend two days wondering whether my $7 would be better spent on a new Nalgene® bottle or a burrito for lunch.

7 comments:

Kate T-C said...

Yeah, it does seem like this economy is bringing the "anti-materialists" out of the woodwork. I'm getting a little tired of reading all of these "I told you your life was unsustainable! Now we will all suffer together!" posts on the interwebs lately. Really, is cable such a luxury or a sin? Should I feel guilty about all of my technology purchases? Was it such a bad idea to buy an iPhone? Meh.

I think perspective is good, and it's good to have on both sides. We shouldn't have to get ourselves into horrible debt over digital HD cable and ginormous houses. But a comfy place to sleep and a little entertainment isn't the end of civilization either.

I was going to put this video up on my website last week, but never got around to it. Maybe you saw it already. Maybe it will make you laugh like it did for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus

Mark said...

Dude! You jinxed it. Now the markets are down. Please bury your head in the sand as previously instructed.

Michael5000 said...

Those who confidently state that "this is just the way things are going to be from here on out" should be treated with the same reverent trust as those who confidently stated that "this is just the way things are going to be from here on out" in the late 90s, when the dot com revolution was making everyone rich forever.

Things will probably get somewhat better or, hell, they could conceivably get a lot worse, but the one thing you can pretty much be sure of is that "this" is NOT the way things will be from here on out.

Michael5000 said...

p.s. At this comment, the markets are up again. Fluctuation happens.

d said...

kate: video = hilarious

mark: head meet sand. now stay there.

m5k: i think i may have misrepresented what she said. it was more about that we should not expect to always be able to buy whatever we want whenever we want it and that it is smarter to save and live frugally than not. she was not saying that the markets will always be this terrible.

Rebel said...

Yeah, I got my year end IRA statement... it was depressing beyond belief. I might feel moderately better if I were still putting money into it... you know, buying stocks on sale as it were while the market is low. But nope, all my money is just going down down down the toilet. =(

d said...

i hear you, man. i hear you. i figure i will never, ever be able to retire. so i'm going to enjoy myself as much as possible right now.