12.07.2008

books

As you can see from the pic, I love to read. I would typically rather buy a book than check it out from the library, mostly because if it's any good there are pretty good odds that I'm going to want to read it again and again. I've lost count of how many times I've read The Lord of the Rings since my dad first gave it to me 26 years ago and most of the other books on my shelves I've read at least twice if not more. Occasionally, I get a book that I just don't really care for and I never really know what to do with it. I absolutely refuse to throw a book away, I don't care how much I hate it. Donating it to the library is always a pretty good option if it's still in good shape, but I can be pretty hard on books as I tend to carry them with me wherever I go until I'm done with them. Lately, I've had a really bad track record at picking good reads and so I've stopped buying new ones, figuring I should stop wasting money. Then, a few months ago, I discovered BookMooch, an online service where users trade books by mail, which allows you to get rid of books you don't want to keep and get ones that hopefully you might. At any rate, I almost never leave the house without a book in tow and I'll never really be able to understand people who say they don't like to read.

This is all a really long intro to say that Kate tagged me with a meme today and I figured I'd better get on it before I completely forget to do it. I copied her idea for a photo also (sorry Kate, I'm feeling wholly unoriginal today).

Here are the rules:
Go to your nearest bookshelf. On the top shelf (or highest shelf with books) what book is fifth from the right and why did you love it? Now go to the bottom shelf (or lowest shelf with books). Tell us about the fifth book from the left.

1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close | Jonathan Safran Foer
This is one of the first books that I read that dealt with the aftermath of the tragedies of 9/11 in a way that wasn't cheesy or fraught with overdone emotions. This is also the only book in my memory that I've ever read once and then went straight back to the first page and read it again. It sounds really trite to say, but this book made me laugh and it made me cry and I honestly loved every second of it. Foer has a way with words and the ability to tell a story unlike anyone else on the planet. Truly life changing.

2. Kansas Impressions, Photographs and Words | Wes Lyle and James Fisher
A friend found this at a flea market and gave it to me as a parting gift when I left home. Published in 1972, it contains a plethora of great black and white shots of Kansas in all of its glory. Whenever I'm feeling particularly homesick for the wide open spaces of the Great Plains, I crack open this book and let it soothe me. Most people find it hard to believe that I could ever miss one of the flyover states, but it's true, I miss it greatly and often.

As part of the whole meme thing, you're supposed to tag others to do the same thing, but I'm not so good at following the rules, so if you read this and want to play along, feel free.

3 comments:

LSL said...

Gosh, I just love your bookshelves. I'm so glad you like books - we can still be friends. You should join goodreads.com so I can get some recommendations from you.

Also, what's on top of the shelves? Looks interesting and kind of you-ish. Do tell.

d said...

did you get my email?

as for what's on the top shelves, from left to right:
1) some packaging from the best brewery in the world, boulevard in kc, mo.
2) a painting of a mountain bike from some kid on the interbunny. i felt like helping a brother out.
3) a weird old-timey basketball game my folks got me for christmas a few years ago
4) a box that contains a compass from my mom, so 'i can always find my way home.'
5) a wooden puzzle my dad made a very long time ago
6) a castle that my dad made a while ago
7) a weird little 'sculpture' made of a stalk of wheat inside a plexiglass structure that looks quite a bit like an odd dildo that a friend found at a flea market and gave me for my b-day a couple of years ago. i love it. a little bit of ol' k.s. that i can carry around with me forever.

Kate T-C said...

Nice one d! I knew you had good shelves and would have great reads. Now I just have to head out and buy that 9-11 book. Sounds really good. Thanks!!