11.04.2008

my favorite things that happened tonight


10) Kay Hagan defeated Elizabeth Dole for one of North Carolina's Senate seats. That means that Jesse Helm's former seat is now owned by a Democrat. Eat it, Jesse Helms, you bigoted a-hole.

9) Coloradoans said no to Amendment 48. Handily.

8) Young people showed up in droves. Finally.

7) Women proved that they're smarter than John McCain gave them credit for. May we never hear from Sarah Palin again.

6) Obama won Montana. Thanks to my friend Laura Quirk who singlehandedly called every single person in the state to encourage them to vote. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, on Election Night, two hours before the polls were to close there, she was driving people to the voting booth.

5) The record number of people who showed up at the polls this year. Our votes affect not only our country but the rest of the world. It's great when we show the world that we care.

4) Markey defeated Musgrave!

3) I live in a blue state!

2) This story from The Daily Dish:

I voted here in San Francisco's Noe Valley neighborhood about two hours ago. It took about an hour to get through the line, and while standing there I was chatting with the 75-year-old retired cop in front of me, and the young 30-something gay couple in front of him, who had their two little girls in tow.

Everyone was in good spirits as the conversation moved from the Obama-McCain contest to the farce that is Sarah Palin, and then on to non-political matters, like the road work being done on the next block. The conversation between the cop and the couple started to get animated toward the end of our hour in line as the three men began to discuss the current football season, wagering bets for this weekend's games and making predictions for the Super Bowl.

And then, as we entered the firehouse that doubled as our polling place, as the couple and their daughters stepped out of line and up to the table to receive their ballots, I observed the cop in front of me. He opened his sample ballot, took out his pen, scribbled out his "yes" vote on Proposition 8, and filled in the ballot line for "no."

I don't think he knew that I observed him. And since it was such a private moment I held back my tears of joy and my overwhelming desire to pat him on the back and say "thank you, sir." Instead, I left the polling place muttering to myself those two words you have repeated over and over during this election cycle, Andrew:

KNOW.

HOPE.


1) We just voted an African-American man into office, people. This changes everything. It changes how the world views us. It changes race relations in this country forever. It doesn't erase our tarnished past, but it sets us on the right path for a brilliant future. We just screamed at the top of our lungs to the universe that we're sick of fear and hate and tyranny. This changes the war on terror. This changes our economic woes. This changes our environmental policies. This changes our foreign policy. This. Changes. Ev.Ery.Thing.

I am speechless. Heart very full. In love with America.

5 comments:

LSL said...

Well said. Perfect. Perfect perfection. And amen.

Rebel said...

I got home and pulled up the election map and the first state I looked for was Colorado! Lookin' good in blue there!! =)

Rebel said...

And you know... I'm so happy we eleected Obama that I keep forgetting that we just elected the first African American man to be president. It *does* change everything!!!! There's going to be a black man in the white house. I cannot *WAIT* to hear Chris Rock do a bit on that. =P

Michael5000 said...

I think I have a crush on your friend Laura Quirk just for her name. The good deeds in Montana is icing on the cake.

That's an awesome story for #2. I liked the one of the woman in full labor who insisted on going to the Santa Monica polling station before the hospital. Now THAT's conviction.

FireHorse said...

I observed the cop in front of me. He opened his sample ballot, took out his pen, scribbled out his "yes" vote on Proposition 8, and filled in the ballot line for "no."

Wow. Such a lovely post. The cops actions show that people can change. They just have to be open to it.