9.08.2008

a weekend in the desert

I spent the weekend in S.F., N.M to visit the Kuhns, but failed to take my camera with me anywhere I went, so you'll just have to believe me despite the lack of photographic evidence.

We got in a lot of climbing at a place outside White Rock called Gallow's Edge on a crag chock full of nice, moderate sport routes. I even tried to lead one at the end of the day, but got too freaked out because it was really run out and a fall would've resulted in some hamburgered skin at best and maybe a broken bone or two at worst. And I didn't really feel like getting maimed this weekend.

I remember specifically doing 99 Red Balloons and Once Were Warriors, but have no idea of the other three or four we did. I lost count. I haven't climbed in so long that by the end of the day almost every muscle in my body was sore and I was that tired you get from a hard day's work. I'd forgotten how good that feels.

A also gave me a walking tour of downtown SF which was nice. There's adobe everywhere. That's all I really remember of it.

The weekend was filled with some good outside, good food and beer and quality time spent with good friends whom I miss greatly.

3 comments:

Mark said...

What kind of rock is that... basalt? (img here)

d said...

i'm not really sure. volcanic? the entire area was created by the explosion of a volcano a really long time ago, so...

Mrs. C. said...

We didn't take too many photos (although you took WAY TOO MANY of me) but I will have them up tonite. We didn't have the interbunny last night. Then I'll post a link. The one of us at the Cross of the Martyrs is excellent! Anyway, I'm really happy you came down. Thanks. Although it already seems like a faint memory....