9.20.2008

indeed, we may not survive


When W was reelected in 2004 I was extremely disappointed, but not overly fearful that any great harm would come from America's faulty decision to keep in place a President who used the power of his office to become little more than a petty tyrant. After all the first four years hadn't cost us too much if you didn't count the billions of dollars and thousands of lives lost in a war fabricated on lies, personal vendettas and a desire to control some of the world's diminishing oil supply for America's greedy needs. An incalculable price to be sure, but the country as a whole was still standing, if only slightly worse for the wear. Maybe the next four years wouldn't be so bad.

I'd even been holding out a small glimmer of hope that with the end of his reign growing ever closer, we might escape relatively unscathed. However, with the latest looming financial crisis, while perhaps being a boon for the Democrats in the coming election, I'm fearing that we are seeing the end of all we know. This might be my ability to see doom and gloom in almost any situation, but I can't stop obsessing over it. And, I'm not sure that the majority of Americans can see that anything is wrong. With Bush's approval rating at an all-time low, I'm constantly amazed that McCain's standing in the polls is as high as it is. Are the Republicans so desperate just to have a Republican in office that they don't care who it is? Do the people that voted W into office for a second term feel any regret for the choice they made? Or are they so blinded by partisan politics that they believe the current state of the country is the fault of anyone else but the idiots they put in charge? And, don't even get me started about the fact that Nadar has forced his way back on the ballot again. Can't he see that he's only hurting any chance we have to put things to rights? Now is not the time for him to force his agenda on this damaged nation, but apparently his egotism knows no bounds.

M5K has an excellent piece up about why Sara Palin was such a reckless and dangerous choice by the McCain campaign that shows a baffling disregard for the well-being of this country, and I can't word it any better, so I won't go into that. I will say, though, that I'm terrified of what will happen if Palin/McCain are voted into office. And, I'm not entirely sure that I will be able to bear the shame and disappointment that I will feel.

I know it's not socially acceptable to talk about politics and that most people would rather just bury their heads in the sand and ignore what is happening, being more concerned with the latest drama of which semi-talented glory hog is able to sing better than the other semi-talented glory hog, but we have to be concerned about this election this year. Now is the time where we as Americans decide our future. Will we recover from our mistakes of the last eight years, and come back stronger and better than ever? Or will we continue to compound them until we run this great nation into the ground?

Truly, these are the things of which nightmares are born.

1 comment:

LSL said...

Excellent post, and I can't wait to read the one at MSK. You know that Hillary was my girl, but now Obama is my last hope, too. He is that for all of us. Can you BELIEVE the people who are still "undecided"?! What further information is needed?