8.22.2008

mid life crisis?

I've wanted a tattoo ever since I was old enough to get really drunk and make bad decisions. And, I can't tell you how many times I've come this close to getting Snoopy or some other dumb thing etched permanently into my flesh when I'd had three too many beers. Luckily, if you're visibly hammered, they won't permanently etch things into your flesh. All of this to say, I've thought about it a lot over the years, but couldn't ever come to a conclusion about a tattoo that I wouldn't be embarrassed about when I'm 75 and drooling in the nursing home.

For some reason, this week, I decided that it was time. So I drew this up and last night, got it carved into my arm. I may regret it in a couple of days/weeks/months/years, but for now I feel pretty good about it.

And I've already thought of others that I want to add.

7 comments:

Kate T-C said...

Oooooo, cool! Welcome to the club of us inked people. Ok, that was a stupid sentence.

I love the design. It's simple, and clear. I'm sure it has a significant meaning for you. And it didn't involve too much lining (oooo the pain of line work).

The only time that I have ever regretted my tat was when my friend Eric declared it to be a "tramp stamp" even though it's not. Once I managed to convince myself that I didn't have a tramp stamp, I felt much better about it.

Looks good, Sean! The shock of seeing something black on your arm when it goes by in your perif will wear off after a while. :)

LSL said...

Love, love, love it! Very cool.

d said...

ktc - you have a tat? where? i do keep staring at it. i imagine it's how newlyweds feel about their rings.

lsl - gracias, senorita. i'll come talk to you when i want to remove it.

Michael5000 said...

Sweet. I've been waiting for 17 years to feel some remorse about my tattoo, but mostly I just think about getting another one.

Kate T-C said...

Hey Sean! Yep, I have a sun with mountains inside of it in the middle of my back. Here's a shot from about a year ago in Kauai'i:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outdoorsie/413715030/sizes/o/in/set-72157602370594322/

Or there's this one, weren't you there? http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberhobo/2428157739/in/set-72157604643908175/

I made up the design myself, and I think it turned out nicely. I've been very happy with it for many years now. But I do think that if/when I get another one, I'll have the tattoo-ist make up the design. They really know what looks good and what they are capable of.

I think yours is great Sean, and I think you'll love it.

d said...

jeez. i was there. but i seriously don't remember noticing your tatoo. i'm relatively unobservant though.

i'm so in love with my tat. i'm glad i got it.

DougieB said...

well done! And it's a well known fact that tatoos seem to act like cans of pringles - you can't have just one. (or were those baked lays. hm.)

I've been wanting a forearm tattoo for years to add to the one i got back in school... that is your forearm, right?