8.14.2008

the kindness of strangers

I didn't get a chance to run this morning and was pretty busy all day until about 4p, so as soon as I finished up what I was working on, I put on my running shoes, did a couple of stretches, plugged in the iPod and headed out the door. Today was long-run day, so I turned left at the corner and put some speed on.

About a mile in, a strong wind suddenly burst down the street and kept on coming, kicking up dirt and making my eyes water. I looked up ahead and saw a dark cloud forming, but there was still blue sky overhead, so I decided to keep on going.

When I hit the 2-mile mark it started to rain. Kind of hard. And the wind was still blowing everything sideways, so I got kind of wet. A couple in a white car with a baby in back stopped and asked if I wanted a ride. 'No, no thanks. I'm fine,' I said. And kept running.

A couple minutes later the hail happened. At first it didn't seem like that big of a deal, it was kind of tiny and didn't really hurt all that bad, so I kept going. Then it got bigger. And harder. And stung like a b*%$@ when it pelted me in the head. Which was frequent and often.

I saw a farmhouse up ahead so I decided to duck onto their front porch. A second later, a woman poked her head out the front door and, in response to my asking, said it was ok if I stood there for a second. Five minutes later, after waiting for the storm to abate with it only getting stronger and stronger, she came back out and said that her husband was willing to give me a ride if I wanted it.

I gladly accepted.

5 comments:

Big Daddy said...

That's pretty nice of them considering the damage the hail could have done to their car.

Michael5000 said...

"...but whatever you do -- don't touch my beautiful daughter!

...who will be, you know, riding in the back with you."

d said...

shit! what movie is that from? i know i know it, but it's not coming to me.

Michael5000 said...

It's just an old cliche'. It's the setup for a lot of old-fashioned dirty jokes, for one thing. It's probably been parodied as much as it was ever used seriously. Maybe there was a famous original version, I don't know.

d said...

yeah, but it was used in a movie i saw recently.

and i just thought of it. 'harold and kumar go to white castle'.

whew. i was gonna maybe have to kill someone there for a second.