6.15.2008

down time

Since I haven't been reading all that much lately, I've been filling my time with DVDs. Here're my awesome, totally spot on thoughts on a few I've seen recently.

3:10 to Yuma This movie couldn't be bad just because it had Christian Bale in it. Seriously, has that guy ever done a bad movie? I usually am not a huge fan of the Western. I know, it's anti-male and anti-American for me to admit that out loud. In public. But it's true. Well, I guess there are some Westerns I've liked. Unforgiven. The Man from Snowy River. This year's NBA Championship. But the storyline in this one kept me really engaged and I kind of forgot I was even watching a Western. It was fairly predictable, yes, once it got going, but still, interesting. And the actors made me really empathize with the characters. Which, when it comes down to it, is all you can really ask of a movie.

I am Legend I usually also like Will Smith movies, but all I really have to say about this one is that it was better than I thought it was going to be. The scene where the dog died actually kind of made me sad. A little bit. At least I didn't laugh out loud. Like I usually do. The CGI zombies were completely ridiculous though. And the super cheesy ending made me want to claw out my eyeballs and ruined any good feelings that I had about it. However, I am excited to see the new Will Smith movie where he plays the down and out super hero—Hancock.

There Will Be Blood Holy shit! Intense. And I definitely did not see the end coming. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing. I know it was a fictional Upton Sinclair novel, but if that was based in even a little bit of truth that was one f'ed up dude.

Wristcutters: A Love Story A story about the special afterlife (i.e. hell) reserved for suicides where 'everything is just like here, only worse'? Sign me up. Awesome. This was definitely the best movie I've seen in a while. Quirky. Funny. Really great story. And then the cop-out ending shot it all to shit. If only it hadn't been for that last second. I have to think that the producers made him do it, probably to cut costs or something equally asinine, because it really didn't fit with the rest of the movie.

And there you have it kids. Completely worthless movie reviews in 100 words or less.

No comments: