5.26.2008

it's summer y'all

Not to be all preachy, but at this time of year I think it's easy for all of us to get wrapped up in the welcoming in of much-longed-for summer with the barbeques, parties, raft trips, swimming pools, camping, trips to the malls, etc and forget the real reason for the holiday—remembering those who've died in service, fighting to defend our country's freedoms. I think this is especially important now since so many men and women are losing their lives in a completely pointless war. So, maybe take a minute and say a quick thank you to those who allow us to continue living the lives we do.

With that said, here's what I did this weekend:

Thursday, May 22
I finished work early so I was able to squeeze in a little nap before I headed down to Denver to see Tokyo Police Club play at The Bluebird. All I'll say about it is: Awesome Show! Those kids know how to rock it.

Friday, May 23
Ann came up from Santa Fe to spend the weekend with us. Well, mostly Dylan I'm sure, but the rest of us got to reap the benefits. Since I didn't have any work to do (whoo hoo), Ann and I headed up to Wyoming early to grab a camping spot in Vedauwoo before all the Wyoming rednecks snapped 'em up. We also wanted to see if we could get some climbing in, so after we set up my tent, we headed over to the Beehive to do some sport climbing. Unfortunately, we only got in one route before a thunderstorm rolled in and ruined our afternoon. Although it did allow us to spend the afternoon napping and reading. Sometimes that's all you need to have a good day.


Saturday, May 24
While we waited for Doug, Liz and Kevin to arrive, the rest of us huddled miserably in Ann and Dylan's camper. The weather SUCKED. All night Friday it was rain, howling wind and more rain. We woke up with our tents covered in ice. It's almost June Wyoming. Get with the program. The weather didn't really improve all that much throughout the day, but it at least quit raining, so we decided to go for a really long walk around the Woo instead of climbing. When we arrived back at camp, with the wind still howling through the valley, threatening to rip our tents out of the ground, we decided to move to a little quieter spot we'd walked through on our hike. We were all extremely happy we did as the site we found was quieter, tree-filled, and much more pleasant.

Sunday, May 25
I was originally slated to head home Saturday night, but since we didn't get any climbing in, I decided to stay one more day. We decided to head over to Jurassic Park, not with the hopes of seeing any dinosaurs, but because it was fairly close to the main entrance to the park, and had enough routes with varying grades for everyone to get in some climbing. We didn't get to the crag until noon, but we were still able to get in quite a few climbs. Well, everyone else did, I only got in one and a half. Even though I didn't finish the second one, I still felt pretty good about my performance. I got up a thin little finger crack that even six months ago I probably wouldn't have been able to. And for the first time in a long time, I wasn't nervous about falling. Granted, I wasn't leading or anything, but still, lately I've been inexplicably nervous even on TR. Maybe I'm finally getting back into the groove. I think all of the bouldering I've been doing has been great for improving my grip and building up my confidence, but has been hell on my endurance. The only cure for that? More climbing!

I arrived back home at about 8.5p, sore, bloody, tired and very, very excited to take a long, hot shower and sleep in my own bed.

Monday, May 26
Chores. Chores. And then some more chores. Even though I can barely lift my arms.

2 comments:

Kate T-C said...

Great write up!

I'm so glad you decided to stay as long as you did. It was really fun having you around all weekend, Sean.

It was so quiet on Sunday night. DylAnn were hiking in the dark or in their camper with Clare, and you and Kevin had both left. Doug, Liz, Mark and I sat around the fire and there were like six empty chairs.

Though, on Monday morning I was wishing we had left the night before as well. That misty cold rain was pretty miserable.

Thanks!!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Sory to hear about the weather. But still! - what an awesome way t spend the weekend (except for the chorespart, I guess).