5.04.2008

the boob tube can be good for something


Yesterday was a banner day in the d household. For you see, Battlestar Galactica Season 3 just came out on DVD. Whoot! I didn't really care for how Season 2 ended and was afeared that it had jumped the shark. BUT lo and behold, Season 3 started off with a bang and just keeps getting better. The writing is still outstanding. The sociopolitical-economic-religious commentary on humanity in times of war and struggle are still apropo, timely and spot on. It'd be easy for you to write off the whole entire series as science fiction so it's not worth your time, but you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice. The television isn't good for much more than mindless entertainment 99% of the time. Then, rarely, something like this comes along and throws your whole world in a tailspin. In a good way.

5 comments:

Rebel said...

season 1 is the very next thing on my netflix queue!!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Season 1 is on my Netflix too! But not for a little while. I've heard a lot of good things about it so I am looking forward to it.

d said...

ok. make sure that you both watch the 'miniseries' before you watch season 1. otherwise, you'll be a little lost in season 1. not a lot lost and you'll certainly be able to figure it all out, but still...

Mark said...

I've gotten sucked in by lots of space-based soap operas (Babylon 5, Farscape). B* was my favorite show till I made the not-so-difficult decision to cut my cable bill in half and lost the Sci-Fi channel. After that I just had to let it go. Watching TV on DVD is a bit stressful for me when the series is still on-going. If only they had digital distribution of shows back in 2006, I probably never would have broken away from the series.

Rebel said...

I watched the first season 1 disk and I think it was the mini series... at least it started at what appeared to be the beginning - old colonial guy sitting alone in a space station... and it didn't stop for a several hours! OMG! Cylons still scare the crap out of me!