3.11.2008

the result of turning on the boob tube

‘Yes! He was adopted! So what?!’ he cried softly at little more than a whisper. ‘Does that mean I loved him any less? Does that mean it doesn’t stab me in the heart every time I walk by his room? See his tiny bed, still made with his favorite sheets? Does that lessen the pain I feel, or fill the place in my life left empty in the wake of all of this?’ He put his head down on his knees and tried to quell the shaking in his shoulders that would belie the strong façade he’d slowly built up over the past six years.

The detective closed her notebook and sighed imperceptibly. She paused for a second, unsure of how to proceed, before standing up slowly, pulling a business card from her pocket and placing it softly on the table in front of him, pushing it towards him with one calloused finger. Then she left without saying a word, closing the door softly behind her.


I don't know. It popped into my head last night while listlessly watching mind-numbing, stupid television.

Oh, and speaking of television, I saw a preview of a show starring Parker Posey and the woman who played Claire on 'Six Feet Under'. It's gonna be on Fox. This, to me, is akin to finding out that Ms. Posey has been running a black market, Croatian-child slavery ring out of her Hollywood mansion. I mean, tv? And, Fox? Is Fox suddenly more cool than I was aware? I had a lot of respect for her, but now I'm not so sure what to think. Maybe I'll have to actually watch the show to see if it's any good or not. Although, it's on Friday night, so that doesn't necessarily bode well.

3 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Hey, let's give Fox a bit of a break. In my book, they still have a Halo Effect for being the home of "Arrested Development."

Scoobers said...

I don't know what happened to FOX but over the years it's become unbearable.

and oh how i MISS six feet under.

blythe said...

i could not agree more. the show had an effing laugh track. it's like i wrote it or some shit. not funny at all.