2.19.2008

i know you're probably all sick of me talking about politics, but seriously, i can't focus on anything else

So, remember how all ok I'd gotten with Hillary possibly winning the Democratic nomination after caucusing a few weeks ago? Well, my tune has changed. I can't believe how smarmy and underhanded and just plain dirty she is being with her campaign lately:

From Politico:

Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign intends to go after delegates whom Barack Obama has already won in the caucuses and primaries if she needs them to win the nomination.

This strategy was confirmed to me by a high-ranking Clinton official on Monday. And I am not talking about superdelegates, those 795 party big shots who are not pledged to anybody. I am talking about getting pledged delegates to switch sides.


This is politics from the old guard. This is what I'm tired of. This is why we need new blood in office. These sorts of stories combined with the stories of her campaign harping on Obama's plagiarism (something that it seems even she does) make me think she's become desperate and instead of being the underdog with a bit of grace and attempt to come back based on the merits of her platform, she's decided to revert to the typical D.C. tactic and sling the mud. Bah. I will feel very ashamed if I have to vote for her in the national election, because the only reason I would vote for her at this point is to vote against McCain and that's not the kind of vote I want to cast. I'm tired of voting against something. I want to be able to vote for something.

I wasn't that nervous about today, but after reading pretty obsessively yesterday, and talking to T about today's primaries in Washington and Wisconsin and what it could mean if Obama loses, I'm kind of freaking out a little. I don't think I can pay attention. I think I'll just act like it's not happening and then watch the news tomorrow morning and hope that my world doesn't come crashing down.

Oh. And holy shit! I know everyone knows this already, but Fidel Castro resigned! He's been in office since 1959. Maybe this means we'll all get to smoke Cubans legally now.

9 comments:

e. said...

politics will always be a little dirty, d.

and until we get a pledge from Obama that his campaign won't do the same thing, I don't think it is a good idea to assume that his campaign won't. when it gets down to the wire.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I'm kinda with e. on this.

Regardless of who wins the nomination, I will feel good about casting my vote. They're both the strongest two hopes we have.

d said...

oh. don't get me wrong. i don't have some pollyanna ideas of the way the game is played. i'm not that naive. all i'm saying is that so far obama has shown an unwillingness to stoop to her level. which i can appreciate. and makes me like him more. he has focused his speeches on his platform and campaign not on what she is doing wrong. granted, if it gets really close at the end there, he may, but so far he hasn't.

cherry: speak to me. tell me why i should be happy to vote for her.

e. said...

seriously d., why can't you just be happy to vote for a strong Democrat? her policies are virtually the same as Obamas. so she isn't as shiny and good as Obama.

listen, I love Obama. and hope we get to live in a world in which he is our next president.

But for fuck's sake. If Clinton is the nominee, I'm going to stand right behind her. And support her. Because she will be our best chance at saving us from the abyss created by the Republican party/administration.

And if every Democrat doesn't get behind her and support her fully--just as they should if Obama is the nominee, then it will once again be the fault of the members of the Democratic Party, and the not the candidate, if we lose this election.

Rebel said...

I know exactly how you feel. I was an independent until Bush ran for reelection then I went and voted for Kerry because he was the lesser of two evils. I'm so so tired of voting for the lesser of two (or as I have done - throwing my vote away on a third party for the principal of it). But with Obama I feel like he might actually be able to do some good in the office and I really really want to feel hopeful about my country again. I'm tired of being ashamed.

d said...

e: i don't think you're wrong in what you say, and i will vote for hillary if she is the nominee. i'm just saying i won't feel any happier about it than when i had to vote for kerry. she is smarmy. she is old school politics which i'm very tired of. whereas if obama is the nominee i will be as excited as i was when i got to vote for clinton the first time he ran. i realize that i may be pretty starstruck, but i feel so much better about obama being president than clinton.

rebel: sing it.

blythe said...

obama's good and all, but what has he done? i know that sounds naive, but seriously, he's hardly been an actor on the national stage. i'm not saying that's a necessity for a candidate, but i don't think his words alone give him a mandate. i'll still vote for him, though. damn you edwards for quitting!

d said...

actually, and not to be all pedantic, but if you look at his record in the senate, it's just about as strong as hillary's. especially considering the short amount of time he's been in office. i point you to this. plus, he was a professor of the constitution before he ran for illinois' state senate.

does he have the same amount of experience as the other candidates? definitely not. is that good, or bad? i say, it's good. he's not mired in the old way of doing things. we need a change. we need someone with fresh ideas and different ways to get things accomplished. we need someone who can go across party lines and re-unite our very divided country. i strongly feel that he is the only candidate who can do that.

Michael5000 said...

Whichever one gets the job done, be it through old-school politics, new-school politics, words, deeds, faith, horse-trading, smoke-filled rooms, or any other means necessary, I will vote for him or her. The process of having got the job done will give us evidence that he or she can get shit done at the Big Show. Plus, it's good practice.

I hope the one will have the sense to offer the other one the V.P. slot. That, or Edwards.