2.20.2008

i hate to be one of the naysayers, but...

I really, really wanted to like this album. A lot. I've professed my love for their earlier EPs until everyone grew weary of me babbling about how great they were, so you can imagine how eagerly I'd awaited the release of their first full-length late last month. It certainly didn't help that the blogosphere was drooling over it like everyone did when Sharon Stone flashed her jiggly bits in Basic Instinct. So, I downloaded with abandon and listened to it…three times. And, I'm not really sure that I want to listen to it any more than that. The first thing that irritated me is that they'd populated it with songs previously released on said EPs. I mean, I love 'Oxford Comma' as much as the next guy, but I already own it. Who gives a f*$k about an Oxford comma indeed. And. While the songs that are actually new are good, solid indie rock, there's really nothing special or unique there. So, overall it's certainly a pleasant enough listen, but it's not anything that I have to play over and over again. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I'm just not attuned enough to see the genius that everyone else does, or maybe, just maybe this band isn't really all that great. Which is a complete and total bummer.

To make up for it though, I'm really loving the an EP that came out last December by Throw Me the Statue. The music blogs are all in love with 'About to Walk', but I really think that 'Lolita' is the stand out of the three songs provided. Catchy, pop electronica with thoughtful lyrics that make you kind of want to shake your ass a little.

And, I just learned, just this very second that he has a full-length that came out yesterday. My credit card is practically glowing with a desire to be used, but I think I'll wait a little bit to see if eMusic gets it soon before I spend any extra cash.

2 comments:

blythe said...

you didn't like it!?! what? i was kind of let down too. don't tell anyone.

Michael5000 said...

From you recommendation, I'm downloading the new TMTS off Emusic even as we speak, because, what the hell? I've been with Emusic for long enough that it's all but free at this point. I'll let you know what I think.