1.03.2008

once

Part documentary, part love story, part musical this movie walked a thin line between being really amazing and simply being a really long music video. Fortunately, due largely to the beautiful music, it resolved itself into a beautifully told story about renewing lost love and letting new, unrequited love slip through your fingers because it's the right thing to do.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova work really well together behind the microphones and behind the camera. I don't know how the producers found the two and put them together, but whoever was responsible for that decision deserves an Oscar just for that one, maybe not so simple, thing.

It is a really beautiful script with truly wonderful music put together brilliantly so neither one overwhelms the other. Maybe I'm a little biased because I've owned the soundtrack for ages now, but for me at least, it was really nice to see some images put to songs I've been enjoying for such a long time.

2 comments:

LSL said...

You're right on with this, in my opinion. I enjoyed every slow-moving minute.

Michael5000 said...

Seems to be everybody's favorite movie right now. I've got hold #45398 or something on it at the library, and so will almost certainly see it before I die.