12.09.2007

it's that time of year again

I've had my list ready for a couple of weeks now, and usually I wait until Jan 1 to look back and ruminate on which albums I enjoyed most over the past year, but everyone else is publishing their favorite albums of the year and since I'm a great follower and don't want to get left in the dust, I've decided to put mine out there in the Internets also. And, yes, I would jump off the bridge.

But first, albums that everyone else put on their lists that I don't think deserve to be there:

6. Blonde Redhead | 23 - I don't know if it's because this was my introduction to BR or if their music just doesn't really do anything for me, but this album left me feeling less than tepid.
5. Patty Griffin | Children Running Through - Fairly derivative, I thought.
4. Jens Lekman | Falls Over Kortadela - I love all things Swedish. Except this guy. Although everyone else seems to disagree with me, so you can feel free to do so also.
3. Over the Rhine | The Trumpet Child - I'm shaking my head over this one. It makes my ears bleed.
2. The White Stripes | Icky Thump - Aren't we all over this already?
1. Easy Tiger | Ryan Adams - Boo. All I have to say is boo. I might be out of love with you.

Ok. Now that that's out of the way, let's move on to the good stuff:

23. Band of Horses | Cease to Begin - I know everyone else hates this album, but I think it's a pretty good sophomore effort.
22. Rilo Kiley | Under the Blacklight - I like experimentation and they should get love, not hate, for trying new things. Plus, it's great to dance to.
21. Andrew Bird | Armchair Apocrypha - This guy is consistently awesome.
20. Modest Mouse | We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank - Not as good as earlier efforts but still pretty outstanding.
19. Radiohead | In Rainbows - If for no other reason, but they gave it away for free and still made a profit. But I like that they went old school and revisited The Bends.
18. The Cave Singers | Invitation Songs - Fleetwood Mac eat your heart out.
17. Of Montreal | Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer - Just a ton of fun.
16. Beirut | The Flying Club Cup - Another good sophomore effort with enough experimentation to keep it interesting.
15. The Everybodyfields | Nothing is Okay - Beautiful, sad-making debut. Because no year would be justifiable if all the music was exactly the same.
14. Panda Bear | Person Pitch - Ah. The 70s.
13. Spoon | Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Rockin'.
12. The Shins | Wincing the Night Away - Another band that is consistently awesome.
11. Bright Eyes | Cassadaga - Personally, I'm happier when Conor is in alt. country mode.
10. Wilco | Sky Blue Sky - Yay! They revisited the things that made Being There their best album of all time.
9. Phosphorescent | Pride - I know. You're all sick of me spreading the word, but seriously.
8. Arcade Fire | Neon Bible - I actually liked this one better than Funeral.
7. Yeasayer | All Hour Cymbals - This is a recent edition, but possibly one of the best albums I've ever listened to.
6. Sunset Rubdown | Random Spirit Lover - Ooooo. Mr. Krug, I love you.
5. The National | Boxer - Their best yet.
4. Josh Ritter | The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter - He's really hitting his stride, I expect him to take over the world in about 3 years. Give or take.
3. Iron & Wine | Shepherd's Dog - Um. If anyone wants to join with me and declare Sam Beam the new Messiah, let's get on it already.
2. Loney Dear | Loney, Noir - Swedish. Swedish. Swedish.
1. Pela | Anytown Graffiti - Definitely the best album of the year. Hands down. Solid. Steady. Never gets old.

5 comments:

G said...

How about we declare Jim Beam the new Messiah? I'm down with that.

d said...

i. am. so. down. with. that.

blythe said...

agreed! with the list. but ryan adams still has a place in my battered heart. i will fight you about that.

Michael5000 said...

Where were you when I was having to turn in the Christmas wish list?

d said...

blythe: oh he still does in mine too, i'm just really mad about easy tiger.

m5k: right here dude. right here.