11.09.2007

the prestige

So this came from Netflix the other day and I decided that I needed something rather mindless to do last night so I popped it in. Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins) has impressed me before, so I thought this would be a pretty safe bet regardless of the lukewarm reviews I'd read of it. I'm really mad about my decision. It sucked balls.

Based on a rivalry between two famous magicians in London, the movie tries desperately to weave a tale of revenge and how, while it's a dish best served cold, it usually leaves you unfulfilled and dissatisfied (if not just outright dead) in the end.

It was poorly written and the plot was much more than predictable and the 'real magic' revealed at the end was stupid and unbelievable. Thanks for stealing two irretrievable hours of my life Nolan and crew. I definitely regret it. At least the cast was pretty and nice to look at. That's one thing it has going for it.

5 comments:

Dylan K said...

Rare is the actor you can depend on to be in good movies. Directors are only a little more consistent...

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Really? I didn't enjoy it so much either, but there are certainly a lot worse movies to suck away your 2 hours, no?

d said...

i guess what you're saying is that they're only human after all.

d said...

cherry: oh yes. tru dat. but my expectations were fairly high i guess. it made me mad. i don't like to be disappointed.

Big Daddy said...

I still don't quite get the ending but I have already spent way too much time trying to figure it out.