10.30.2007

music your ears want you to listen to

These guys are my new favorite band of the week. I first read about them on Hear Ya, and since I generally do whatever those guys tell me to do, I downloaded them without even sampling anything online. I'm, obviously, immensely glad that I did.

The trio hails from Seattle, but sing songs like they grew up somewhere in the woods of Appalachia listening to Fleetwood Mac for most of their childhoods.

Invitation Songs is their debut album, but they all got their chops playing for other, well-known punk bands. Bands like Pretty Girls Make Graves, Hint Hint, Cobra High and Murder City Devils. They recently came together as The Cave Singers without intending to be in a folk band, but somehow that's what they ended up with. And somehow, they sound like they've been playing together for quite some time.

Give 'em a listen, you won't be sad you did.

Key tracks: Called, Free the Bee, Helen, Dancing on Our Graves and New Monuments

No comments: