10.29.2007

i did actually go climbing


But I didn't really enjoy myself.

Yesterday a bunch of us headed up to The Palace to get some climbing in on a really gorgeous day. Ann and I were the stragglers so we got on a climb that I can't remember the name of, but we picked it because we thought it was a 5.7 and it was in the sunshine. We found out after we'd started climbing that it was actually a 5.9+.

I told Ann she could go first, so she hopped on and struggled her way up to the third bolt and gave up after trying very valiantly for the fourth bolt. So, then, with Dylan's encouragement, I got on and tried and couldn't make the fourth bolt either. That shit was scary. After my failed attempt, Dylan took pity on us and led it so we could try it on top rope. Well, I should say so Ann could try it on top rope, because I could barely even get on the damn thing on my second try.

Then we moved over to the climb that I wanted to try and lead that day. This one went a little better, but I ran out of juice after the last bolt right before I could get to the anchors. I'm not sure what my deal was, I just couldn't make myself keep going. I'd struggled pretty mightily on the rest of the climb and I guess my brain, and my arms, were just plain tuckered out. Then Ann led it very successfully without having to stop even once.

I don't know if it was the combination of the yoga and the hiking the day before that just wore me out too much to be able to climb successfully, or if I just wasn't in the right head space. I've led 5.9's before at other places without too much difficulty. Maybe The Palace just doesn't like me. Whatever the case, it made me kinda mad and frustrated. Which I may have vented a little too muchly and a little too longly. But Ann and Dylan were good sports about it. Thankfully.

Next time, that climb is mine.

More photos of Dylan on the crappy first climb here.

2 comments:

Kate C said...

Stupid long fourth bolt. Someday I'm going to invent a pocket stickclip for short people. I will pinch the draw between two fingers and simply say "Go Go Gadget Stickclip!" and Zoooooom the bolt will be clipped.

Don't feel too bad about the place, the Palace kicks most butts on arrival. It takes some time to get into the groove of the place, and once you do, you feel invincible! (I hope)

d said...

the utterly sad thing is that i did the climb earlier this year just fine on top rope.

i just think i wasn't in the right place mentally on sunday.

next time, i'll nail it.