9.26.2007

taking a day off in the middle of the week

One of the advantages of working from home is that you can take a day off whenever you want. You can do whatever the hell you want with your day off—I decided to go climbing. With my friend Melissa.

Because she isn't all that experienced when it comes to scaling large rock walls, I got to be in charge. This was the very first time that I have chosen the destination, picked the climbs, led the climbs and basically be the climbing know-it-all. Needless to say, I was more than a little nervous about it. Usually, I just go where people tell me, climb what they tell me to and follow as directed. I was scared that we would a) get lost, b) get stranded at the top of a climb, c) injure ourselves, d) die.

But none of that happened! Largely, because I chose to go to The Ironclads—an area that I've climbed at a few times before, so I knew generally what we were getting ourselves into. We chose Dirty No-Gooders, 5.6 to start off on. Mostly, because it was easy enough for Melissa to follow on, but also, because it'd been about a month since I'd led anything, I figured I should start slow. It went great. It is a really nice climb with solid feet and nice, juggy handholds every time you need one. Melissa didn't feel comfortable rappelling on her own, so after she climbed it on top rope, I went up a second time to clean and rap down.

Then, Melissa decided that she wanted to learn how to rappel, so we went over to Poacher's Rock, scrambled up the back of it and set up a top rope on Five Finger Discount, 5.9. Melissa was a little shaky on her first rappelling attempt, but ended up going down like a pro. Then we climbed back up it on top rope and both rappelled back down again. She did it with flying colors on her second try. She most definitely wasn't as big a baby as I was, my first time. Remember that, Dylan? I don't know how you put up with me.

After that, we called it a day and came back home. Where we made fish tacos for dinner! This is why people get/stay married isn't it? The gourmet meals. I give her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch and she gives me fish tacos. Who's the winner in this scenario?

4 comments:

blythe said...

seriously, you are living my dream life. climbing on a weekday AND fish tacos.

kill me now.

Dylan K said...

And I didn't even get PB&J OR Fish Tacos!

Congrats on graduating to teacher...

d said...

you did get my undying gratitude and admiration though... so, if that's any consolation...

d said...

oh and b, anytime you want to come to 'rado, just let me know. i've got an air mattress with your name all over it.