9.24.2007

music your ears want you to listen to

If you have been paying attention at all, you know how much I want to have this guy's babies. So, it's no surprise that I LOVE his latest effort. It's a little bit Animal Years 2.0, but also, not really. Ok. It is. But that doesn't stop me from listening to it over and over and over.

Although it does sound like a continuation of his last album, there are some other, older influences (thus the title) of blues, jazz and I think I can hear the Appalachians in there somewhere.

It's music that pretty much complements just about any activity you can think of: working, running, making dinner, having sex, you name it, this is a good soundtrack for it. And the lyrics are, as usual, outstanding. Some that I can remember off the top of my head:

Two open windows keep the rain away,
Two open eyes keep the ghosts at bay,
I thought an open door would bring you in,
Now, I guess I'm gonna have to guess again.

and

Don't let me into this year with an empty heart.

and

Outside in the frost are the wolves and the lost

and

'Cause ghosts don't want to give up their sheets.
Tell me is it the same for the rattling chains,
or whatever you wear when you sleep.

If, no when, you buy it, make sure you get the version with the bonus tracks.

Key tracks: Right Moves, Open Doors, Rumors, Wait for Love, Empty Hearts (ok really the whole album is great from start to finish - just buy it already)

No comments: