7.17.2007

music your ears want you to buy

By the time I heard of The Polyphonic Spree, they had something like 200 albums out already and it was too exhausting to try and figure out where to begin. So I just didn't. I ignored them. I pretended they didn't exist.

Then, for some reason, the other day I just decided to buy their latest, The Fragile Army. Now, I'm kicking myself for treating them like a redheaded stepchild. I don't know if all of their albums are like this, but Fragile Army is a rollicking good time. With really, some pretty decent lyrics. It sounds like they have about 50 people in the band who all play on every single song. You would think this would make for cacophony, but it really doesn't. They all work well together to produce an upbeat, punchy, beattastic album that's just about the most perfect thing to listen to when it's too hot outside to breathe.

9 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Here's an older song of theirs.

It was semi popular

d said...

um. yeah. never heard it. good though. i must get other albums.

blythe said...

i would agree with you, but i'm angry that you dislike my beloved ryan. ok, i will agree with you.

d said...

oh, but trust me. i LOVE ryan adams. so much so that i would have his babies. um, if i were capable of that. i just didn't like 'easy tiger'.

blythe said...

but why? i like it 'cause it's countrier. which is not a word, but maybe you know what i mean. two breaks my heart!

d said...

oh. i'm totally about the 'countrier'. i assume you have 'heartbreaker'? well, to me, this album was just 'heartbreaker redux'. i swear with every fiber of my being that the melodies are the same and he just slapped some new lyrics on 'em.

although 'goodnight rose' and 'everything changes' and 'these girls' are three of the best songs he's ever done.

blythe said...

ok, heartbreaker 2 i kinda get. these girls is good shit. but nothing will be as good as come pick me up. i could listen to that all day and somehow, it still never depresses me like it should.

d said...

don't even get me started on 'come pick me up' 'cause you will get sick of me going on and on and want to slap me.

blythe said...

actually, i won't. i can listen to it 10 times in a row on my way to work, no joke. i don't even care that it was in that shitty kirsten dunst movie (elizabethtown).