7.05.2007

happy birthday amerrrika

I apologize for being late with your gift, but you're really gonna like it, I swear.

Colin and I went up to Boulder Canyon yesterday so that I could get some practice at leading trad. So, I redid the 5.5 route I tried a few weeks ago and I kicked its ass. All over the place. It was a wet sobbing mess by the time I got done with it.

Colin did an amazing lead on a 5.10 after that, but since this post is mostly about me, I'm gonna skip ahead to the good part.

After that, I decided to try to lead I, Robot 5.7. Everything went along pretty well until I got to the crux, which was really just a blank section of rock with a thin, thin crack running up it. I stood there for a while trying to figure out what to do and then went up, and then came back down and then went up and then came back down about three times until finally I just went for it and got through it and up to the top. I even set up my first anchor without assistance. I was seriously jazzed, or stoked as the kids say, when we got done. Now I guess I'm ready for the big time.

We ended the day on a ridiculously hard 5.9 that Colin took a pretty big winger on while he was trying to work through the crux. About halfway through the climb he looked down at me and said, 'This fucking sucks. I think I'm gonna have to come down.' But then he gave it one more try and just got the thing done. Even on top rope it was definitely one of the toughest climbs I've ever done. For the first time this summer, I had to leave two pieces of gear behind. Luckily, they were only nuts.

The best, and most surprising, thing about it all was that we were THE. ONLY. ONES. THERE. It was pretty unbelievable really.

I ended the day getting kinda drunk at P & D's bbq. But at least I was drinking PBR. Is there any more American beer than that? I mean, it comes in a red, white and blue can for Christ's sake.

3 comments:

Dylan said...

You guys are hittin' it hard - awesome! I am also dumbfounded that you had any spot in Boulder Canyon to yourselves on a holiday. Good call.

Big Daddy said...

I'm a closet PBR fan myself.

d said...

dylan - tell me about it. i couldn't believe it either. it was almost magical.

bd - dude. no need to be in the closet about it. fly that flag. it's what all the cool kids drink after all.

last night D said to me, 'you don't have to drink pbr.'

and I was all, 'have to. it's more like want to.'

i mean seriously. it's the perfect summer beer. and it only costs $7 for a 12-pack. what else do you need?