6.28.2007

easy tiger

The one word that comes to mind when trying to describe this album is 'screechy.' I think all of the drugs that Mr. Adams has ingested have finally started to ruin his voice. There are quite a few places where I think, 'Man. He kinda can't sing anymore.' And you know how on every one of his albums there's one song that's just chock full of cringeworthy lyrics? For some reason he decided to start the album off with that one this time, 'Halloweenhead'. The title kinda says it all. At one point he screams out 'Guitar solo!' What?

There really isn't anything new on it, just the same melodies as past songs with new lyrics slapped on top. He even does a remake of 'Off Broadway'. What's the matter Ryan, couldn't actually think of a new song to write? Are you actually done then? The whole album is pretty much regurgitation which is kind of a surprise from such a prolific writer. In spite of this, a couple of the songs, 'Everybody Knows' and 'Goodnight Rose' are pretty fucking excellent. Overall though, it's a pretty big disappointment.

I'm not really sure why the critics are raving about this effort saying that it's his best album since 'Heartbreaker', 'cause it's just so not. Unless, of course, you were just wanting 'Heartbreaker -2.0' then you'd probably be pretty happy with 'Easy Tiger'. But then, I liked 'Rock 'n' Roll' and 'Love is Hell', unlike everyone else, so what the hell do I know?

I think though, that this album might have finally allowed me to get over my crush.

No comments: