5.07.2007

shortbus


I finally got around to watching this this weekend. I should've had a vague idea what sort of things were going to occur since it was created by James Cameron Mitchell, the same guy that did Hedwig and the Angry Inch, but I still found myself in a little bit of shock—the introduction is a series of quick cuts between three scenes: a guy trying to give himself a blowjob, a guy begging to be whipped by a dominatrix and a man and a woman having very aggressive sex. It's a movie largely about how the desire for and act of sex alienate us while simultaneously bringing us together. Each of the three main characters have some sort of issue with sex. One guy used to be a prostitute, the dominatrix wants a white picket fence and the sex counselor can't have an orgasm. Their stories all intertwine at a 'sex' club called 'Shortbus'. Once you get over the graphicness of the images and start to get more into what the characters are actually going through, the movie winds up being an enjoyable, thought provoking and even humorous experience.

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

You're lucky. You rented it.

I saw this movie in a tiny indie theater in boston. the room was dark with chairs scattered about. there was a creepy old man next to me.

i felt like i wasnt supposed to be there.

ah yes but i do enjoy dirty movies!

my heart is made of gravy said...

I loved it, loved it.

Surprise, surprise.