5.23.2007

good tunes make everything better

Man. I did an AWESOME job of purchasing music this month. And I need to talk about it.

First off. Christians & Lions 'More Songs for Dreamsleepers & the Very Awake'. I love this album. I can't stop listening to it. A little bluegrass-y. A lot folk-y. Well-written AND listener friendly enough that you can sing along. This is their debut and I only hope that their sophomore effort doesn't go the way of normal sophomore efforts.

The new(ish) Midlake. 'The Trials of Van Occupanther'. Jesus these guys rip my soul right out of my body. Really nice, mellow 70's soft rock. Lots of piano and electric guitar and beautiful harmonies.

Ola Podrida. 'Ola Podrida'. I think this is his debut. He sounds so much like Josh Ritter (and we all know how much I'm in love with him) that I liked this album instantly.

Loney, Dear. 'Loney, Noir'. Apparently, lately I have a crush on anything and everything Swedish. If I read a review and it says 'from Sweden' anywhere in it, I instantly give it a listen. This one. I play over and over and over.

Peter Bjorn and John. 'Writer's Block'. Another group from Sweden. I hope that PB&J was an accident born of their ignorance of American cuisine, but somehow I'm doubting it. Even though their initials spell something kind of stupid, they make pretty good music. Pretty, straight forward rock with a little violin thrown in for good measure.

Cloud Cult. 'Aurora Borealis'. Really nice to rock out too and sing at the top of your lungs.

And then I finally got the Amy Winehouse. Which I have to be in the mood to listen to, but it's really good if I'm in the right frame of mind. I can't believe that big voice comes out of that little body.

And, of course, the new Wilco. Which I'll stop talking about already, but I kind of think it might be their best one ever.

No comments: