4.30.2007

honesty DOESN'T pay

Yesterday I went to REI to return a pair of Chaco's that I bought that I didn't like and to exchange them for a set of quickdraws that I need if I'm going to start sport climbing without Ann and Dylan. While I was there, I decided that I needed a new belay device to accomodate my new, thinner rope and a nut tool and a new bag of chalk and some fuel for my new stove. You know, 'cause I was there and everything. So, anyway, I return the shoes, and the clerk rings up my stuff and there was a balance of -$22 that he credited towards my credit card. I was walking out the door and I thought, 'That can't be right, right?' It should've been about a $70 debit on my card. So I looked at the receipt and saw that he had rung up the nut tool twice instead of ringing up the set of quickdraws that I'd bought. I stood in the parking lot for about a minute debating with myself about whether I should just keep on walking or go back in and correct the error. I decided I would feel guilty every time I climbed, so I turned back around.

He seemed somewhat surprised by my decision.

4 comments:

Dylan said...

You'll find that every bit of good feeling you can get when clipping those draws is worth the bucks ;)

annmkuhn1 said...

OH and hey when you got home you found a 20% off coupon in your mail box, right? And I'm glad you got a new stove. What kind didya get? The last one met such and EXCITING end!
Ann

d said...

YES. dangit. the coupon came too late. i'm thinking about going back in and seeing if they'll give me a credit. of course, i could've gotten a 100% coupon...

i got a msr pocket rocket. DIRTY.

my heart is made of gravy said...

I admire you D-boy.

Cos I'd have probably done the shittier thing and kept on walking.