3.25.2007

i paid for my ticket

Today was the day. It was time. It had to happen sooner or later and thankfully it happened today. No. No. Silly. It wasn't the day that W finally got called to the mat for all of his transgressions. If only. Nor was it the day that someone figured out how to permanently power down the Cheneybot and put us all out of our collective misery. No. Nothing so grandiose, but still it was pretty grand. I got to climb outside for the first time this year. It was glorious.

Dylan, Ann and I plus their friends Kate and Mark and their friends Rachel and JD made our way down to Eldorado Canyon, right south of Boulder. Besides the fact that it was more crowded than the line at Furr's Cafeteria at 4pm, it was perfect. We started off on what we thought was Lady Fingers a 5.7 off-width crack, but ended up on River of Darkness, another 5.7 right next door.

Then we did a 5.6 that I don't remember the name of and finished the day on a sweet 5.9 that I also don't know the name of. For not being outside yet, I did surprsingly well, finishing all three and feeling really confident on the 5.6. And, even though I needed beta on the 5.9 I made it up without hanging. It was a really great day. Even though we all ended up with a little bit of this somewhere:


I, like Dylan (pictured above) cut my ankle, my elbow, bruised my left shoulder and really screwed up my left knee. It's swollen and hurts to bend. It was fun though. I swear.

Bob Dylan once said, "Every pleasure's got an edge of pain, pay for your ticket and don't complain." I think that sums up the whole rock climbing experience fairly succinctly. And aptly. And beautifully.

Oh and in even better news, North Carolina lost today in overtime. Sweet. The universe is back in its proper alignment. Now I can continue watching the Final Four. Oh, if only Florida will be next. Please UCLA. Please.

No comments: