3.14.2007

depart this now. please.


So I'm probably the only person in the universe who thinks that this movie wasn't The Best Thing to Ever be Filmed and Produced Ever, and I'll probably be shot the next time I leave my house, but I just didn't find it all that interesting. I mean, it was ok. And it was an ok story, but it was fairly pedantic and predictable, didn't shed any new light on the mob genre and was violent just so the visual effects guys could get more experience splattering blood everywhere.

If you haven't seen it, and I'm sure that just about everyone has, the story goes like this: guy gets taken in by the mob as a kid, grows up and joins the police. Other guy also joins the police, but because he was a rich kid who spent a lot of time in the poor part of town, gets asked to go undercover and infiltrate the mob. Yeah. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. Then hijinks and mayhem ensue. Somehow these two guys fall in love with the same woman, and she falls in love with both of them. Yeah. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

Everyone almost gets caught several times, a couple of stings go awry, bad guys get caught, bad guys go free, people stab each other in the back, other people try to shift the light on to other people, people get beat up (a lot) until finally, everyone dies.

Not only was the storyline kind of boring, but the acting was pretty terrible. Apparently the Boston accent is pretty difficult to imitate because every single one of the people in the movie kept slipping in and out of it. Constantly. Even Matt Damon. Who grew up there, right? The only one who even made the movie slightly believable was Mark Whalberg.

Honestly, it made me believe even more strongly that the only reason Scorsese got an Oscar for it was because the People in Charge of Handing Out the Golden Man figured that they needed to make up for past mistakes and honor him before he finally keels over. And, I have no idea why it won Best Movie of 2006.

On the other hand, maybe my expectations were just too high. And we all know that when you have high expectations, you're only bound to be disappointed in the end.

1 comment:

::sg:: said...

I can totally see why you went to school for journalism....such a great little reviewer you are :)
Not only did I not enjoy this movie...but I actually walked out of the theater about 30 min. into it. Anyways, your other review of the book makes me want to read it now. nice work.

so how are you these days?