2.16.2007

the shins


Last night saw us once again down in Denver to see some live music. This time it was The Shins, on tour to promote their latest album, Wincing the Night Away, at The Fillmore.

This was my first time visiting this venue and I can't say I was all that impressed. It's a huge, cavernous space with awful acoustics and no really good place to stand where you can properly see the band. Unless, that is, you get there four hours before the doors open so you can grab one of the tables up on the side balconies. And, of course, we didn't make it that early so we had to settle for the cheap seats.

I was unfortunate enough to get stuck behind Big, Tall Fuzzy Head (seriously, this guy was probably 6'200" and wider than two of me put together) who placed himself in front of us about a third of the way through the set. And then, throughout the rest of the performance he proceeded to drift over to his left, right in my line of sight. Derek says I'm sizeist, and he's most likely correct, but I still say they should segregate the audience by height that way everyone can enjoy the show.

At any rate, James Mercer and Co. did an excellent job at the whole entertainment thing. Playing every single song from Wincing and three of my favorites from their previous release, Chutes Too Narrow. I'm glad that I am extremely well-versed in their repertoire, otherwise I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did as it was kind of hard to understand him.

That said, it was still a toe-tapping, head-bopping good time.

No comments: