2.20.2007

new music wednesday

So this month I tried a new experiment with my eMusic subscription. Instead of downloading a couple of albums every week, I waited until almost the last minute and downloaded all eight. At once. I feel slightly overwhelmed by it all, but I think in the long run, it might work out alright for everyone involved.

At any rate, here's what I got. It's kind of a weird mix:

Apostle of Hustle | Fokloric Feel Remember my post from a little bit ago about how I had written this down on a file folder, but couldn't fathom why? Turns out they're a band. I guess I'd written it down so that I would check them out at some point. All I have to say about them is that they are the exact opposite of 'hustle'. Pretty soporific in fact. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Beirut|Gulag Orkestar Alright, alright. Damn you critics, you were right again. Much like I did with The Arcade Fire's Funeral, I resisted this band for a long time because the critics were so much in love with them last year. Seriously, it's all anyone talked about. The lead singer/writer/god is from New Mexico, but is heavily influenced by Eastern Europe and the gypsies. It makes for a very interesting combination.

Chris Pureka | Driving North This is quite simply one of the saddest, most beautiful albums I've ever listened to from beginning to end. Her guitar playing is amazing. And the lyrics. Dear sweet baby Jesus. This woman has had some times, I guess.



Patty Griffin | Children Running Through Ok. I know she began her singing career way back when the dinosaurs were still roaming the Earth, but I just discovered her. I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with this album. A little overwrought, and maybe trying to hard. I'm gonna give it a couple more listens and see if it grows on me, but I don't think it will.

So, there's the first four. I'll finish after I listen to the other ones.

No comments: