12.02.2006

on the dl (again)

So, let me put it out there right up front that we all know I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, right? I realize this, yet it doesn't stop me from putting into action some of my less than stupid ideas. Ideas like biking to work. Now, I'm sure you're thinking that biking to work isn't stupid, quite the opposite in fact, right? It gives you exercise, saves gas, easier on the enviroment, etc. etc. However, let me give you a little background so you can decide for yourself whether or not I was stupid yesterday.

On Tuesday we, like much of the rest of the country, got a ton of snow. It started at about 2p and kept falling until about 10a on Wed. I rode to work Tuesday morning because the weather people said the snow wouldn't start until after midnight. Well, as per usual, they were wrong. But, even though Ann offered me a ride in her four-door, four-wheel chariot, I decided to suck it up and bike back home. Mostly because I didn't want to have to deal with getting my bike home at some later point. Nothing momentous occured beyond my deraileur freezing up by the time I got to the mailbox, so I had to walk my bike up to the house from there. But, no big, the house is 25 yards from the mailbox. A five-year-old child could do it.

So I didn't ride on Wed. because the roads were too messy. And same with Thursday. When Friday rolled around, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to ride, come hell or high water. And in spite of Nikki telling me that it probably wasn't such a good idea. Everything went swimmingly. I took it kinda slow, trying to stay mainly in the snowy parts so I would have some traction. I was on campus, taking a left hand turn on a road that seemed perfectly clear, and wham! before I knew it, I was on my back in the middle of the intersection with my bike still hooked to my left foot. Usually, I can get my foot unclipped from the pedal before I actually hit the ground. Or they just come out on their own. For some reason, not this time.

Now, know that for the past three winters, I've ridden almost every day, regardless of the road conditions and haven't had any problems. For some reason that I can't figure out, yesterday was different.

So I unclipped, stood up and realized that something was wrong with my ankle. I stood there trying to decide whether to go on or turn around and head back home. Either way I would have to ride, so I finally figured it would be best to just go to work. It didn't hurt that bad. I was fine. Really. Uh, yeah. As the day wore on, it started to hurt more and more and so when Nikki called and offered to come get me and give me a ride home, I accepted. After a minor bit of hemming and hawing and her telling me I was an idiot.

Luckily, the doc thought that it's just sprained, not broken, so I limped back home and popped a bunch of Advil® and went to bed.

It still kinda hurts this morning, although not nearly as badly as it did last night. Unfortunately, I think the snowshoe trip I had planned for today is out. The doc said that it probably will hurt for the next six weeks. Fun! The good news? She did say that I can still boulder, I just have to downclimb instead of jumping.

I don't know what's up with me lately. I know I'm accident prone, and probably one of the clutziest people on the planet, but c'mon. Three injuries in the past six months? Two of them to the same appendage? It's not right.

2 comments:

Ann said...

So at least you hurt yourself doing something hardcore, unlike me, who hurt myself in a "cleaning accident". Ha. So pitiful.

craptastic said...

look at the bright side, now you can finally be in that extreme cleaning calendar.