i made it

With a little bit of divine luck and some cheating on my part, I finally got home last night at about 8p.

I woke up at 4a after an unrestful, fitful night of sleep. The shuttle service kept their side of the bargain and arrived at my house at 6.5a to pick me up. In my hurry to get out of the house, I can't remember whether or not I locked the front door, so when I arrive back in 'rado on Thursday, all of my stuff may be gone.

I didn't arrive at the airport until 8.75a which ended up being something of a concern. I got in line at the skycap to check my bag and discovered that I had mistakenly cut in front of a bunch of people. No one behind me said anything though and I pretended to be clueless. At 9a I walked into the security area and discovered that the line was a couple of miles long. People had been waiting for over two hours to get through to the train. I came upon a bubble in the line where people were milling about confusedly, so I decided to just sneak my way in there. Again, no one said anything and I pretended ignorance.

I got up to the metal detector at 9.50a and had ten minutes to get through, get on the train and get to my gate. And, wouldn't you know, something on me set off the alarm. So, I had to get wanded. And I started freaking out and the lady was rude about it and just kept telling me to wait. When they were finally done fondling me (seriously, I don't let people I know really well touch me in some of the places that he did), I grabbed my stuff off the conveyer belt and made a mad dash for the train. In my socks.

Luckily, my gate was the first one off of the train, so I got to the plane two minutes before it was supposed to take off. Then we ended up sitting on the runway for an hour and a half waiting in another long line of planes that were trying to depart. So we were late getting to Kansas City where I discovered that my bag didn't make it on the plane with me. I had to wait another hour and a half for it to arrive. While I was waiting, I listened to this insane story that this woman was telling her son (?) about her brother (?) who got arrested for attempting to distribute child pornography and then killed himself and his wife while he was out on bail. Not something I would talk about at the top of my lungs in the middle of a crowded airport, but she apparently had no problems sharing the information with complete strangers.

So, a short three-hour drive to my parents' house and I made it home, safe and snug. The travel gods smiled down upon me yesterday, and I feel very lucky and grateful to have survived the trip. I know that karma is going to come back and bite me in the ass for cutting in line (not once, but twice), but I'll be happy to pay the dues when that happens. I think. Ok. I won't, but at least I'll know what it's for, and that I deserve it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: