11.02.2006

tower of babble

So, if you haven't heard of NaNoWriMo , which means that you've been living under a rock for the past two years without the internet (or you just don't surf as much as I do), it's this writing 'contest' where participants try to write 50,000 words of a novel in one month. It doesn't matter if it's well or poorly written. It doesn't matter if it's in Klingon, it just has to be 50,000 words. The whole point, really, is to get you off your ass and actually writing instead of just talking about it. Plus, there's this really big sense of community and shared suffering through their website forums.

I signed up at the beginning of October and then almost crapped my pants last night when I realized that it was November 1 already. And me without a viable, well-thought-out idea for a story. I almost decided to blow the whole thing off, but then I kicked myself and gave myself a little pep talk and got to writing dammit. I wrote 1,527 words last night. Only 48,473 more to go. Which means I'm already behind as I should've written 1,667 if I want to get done by the 30th.

But I had to stop because, you know, Lost was on.

4 comments:

dylan said...

Cool! Are you going to post it all when you're done?

craptastic said...

oh god. i hadn't even considered it, really. how 'bout i wait and see how it turns out?

cyberhobo said...

Maybe it's better not to consider it. Good to get the flow going, maybe, not necessarily to produce something that should ever see the light of day...

craptastic said...

i think that mostly i was looking at it as a way to actually get off my butt and write. i've written some short stories in the past and have talked muchly about trying to see if i have what it takes to write an entire short novel.

so. we'll see. if i think it's any good, i may, may let others read it.