10.01.2006

you can't win 'em all


I spent most of my day yesterday drawing King Kong for one of my freelance clients.

Then, we went to see Matt Nathanson at The Aggie. Very rarely does someone decent come to Fort Collins, so when they do, you gotta go. Otherwise, seeing good, live music usually entails at least a 45 minute drive. Each way.

It's not often that I feel this way, but I was really disappointed that I paid to see him live. In fact, I regret it. Derek and I decided that it wasn't our fault, it was his. He just didn't bring it. I don't really know that much about him, but the one cd I have of his stuff is pretty good. And Derek says when he saw him live a couple of years ago, he was more than decent. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case last night.

We should've known that the night was going to be a bust by the horribleness of the opening band. A not-even-good-enough-to-be Matchbox 20 (and that means really, really bad) band called Carbon Leaf. I'm wincing even as I write this. After an hour of sheer torture, Mr. Nathanson decided to grace us with his presence. I'll just say that he's one of those guys who should stick to the solo work. Don't bring along a backup band, dude. They turned your act into CheeseFest 2006. Imagine your high school math teacher popping in a nose ring and getting up in front of the entire school body on Assembly Day to 'rock it.' It was that embarrassing.

What almost made it worse was that the twenty or so other people in the crowd were largely underage and obviously didn't know enough about music to have developed good taste yet, because they seemed to not only enjoy themselves, but to really enjoy themselves. There was a fairly pedestrian stand up bass solo that they were somewhat rabid for, and a not so good drum solo that inspired a 'I love your drummer!' from some girl standing behind us. There was also this fairly creepy kid who we dubbed, 'White T-shirt Kid' who I swear, if he had had a gun, he would've killed Mr. Nathanson and eaten his liver, just so he could have a piece of him FOREVER.

'I haven't felt this uncool at a show since I went to see Richard Marx,' Derek said.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

No comments: