10.07.2006

the poor bubba


I needed a good excuse to try out my brand-spankin' new Keen® day hikers, so, after discussing it with the R-dog, we decided that a walk up Grey Rock was in order. About a mile into the trip, the R-dog decided that it wasn't such a good idea after all and wanted to turn around and go back home. I, being the one mostly in charge, decided to poke, prod and drag her butt up the mountainside. However, by the time we reached the turnoff point where you have to decide to either summit or take the other side of the loop back to the parking lot, I, feeling quite badly, decided that I couldn't be cruel any longer and let us take the turnoff.

A map of our trip, if someone were to make such a thing, would look like this:



So. We didn't summit today and I'm not sure that the R-dog has too many more hikes in her. I keep forgetting that she is almost 63 years old and that I probably shouldn't require her to strain her poor, tired body like that any more. I should probably just let her enjoy her senior years with much food and sleep.

The good news is that, for once, the masses are right about something. The Keen shoes have to be the best shoes I've ever hiked in. No blisters. No hotspots even. I even forgot to change back into my flip flops when we arrived back at the car. Something I am usually fantasizing about even before I hit the halfway point.

No comments: