10.04.2006

i'm so excited


Let me say it again, 'I'm so excited!'

The Decemberists' new album, The Crane Wife, finally, finally arrived yesterday. I don't purchase much off of iTunes because there are way too many things about it that I don't like, but this album will probably never see the light of day on eMusic so it was either that, or, God forbid, purchase an actual CD.

I'll just say that while my delirious ecstaticness is probably clouding my judgment, the album does not disappoint. It's a little more pop-y than their other stuff. And it's a little more slick and studio-y, probably because this is their first release on a major label, but it is definitely an A effort.

I'm mostly just extremely jonesed that I finally, finally have new Decemberists to listen too.

P.S. I've been listening non-stop since I got it yesterday, and this album is vintage Decemberists material. Most of the album tells a story of a woman who was murdered by her husband and how he covered up the deed. I won't say that it's the best Decemberists album, I think their first one, Castaways and Cutouts, fits that bill, but it's better than Picaresque (their last effort) and it's a close second to Castaways. It's nice to know they still have it.

No comments: