7.15.2006

i did a bad, bad thing


Today, Ann, Dylan and I went back up to Vedauwoo to attempt another day of climbing. Dylan's dad, Dan, and his stepmom, Sarah decided to join us in order to celebrate Dylan's impending birthday. Ann and I figured out that it had been almost six weeks since any of us had been attached to the business end of a rope. That's almost unheard of and pretty unbelievable even though the math is right.

So, after about an hour's walk through the woods, we made it to the rocks. Dylan led, I followed and then Ann raced up after us. Even though it was a 5.5 it felt more like a 5.8 or 5.9, probably because we're all out of practice. It was a nice, challenging route that was a ton of fun, and I got to practice some new moves. It was also probably one of the longest routes I've ever done. Then Dylan did a pretty amazing climb on a 5.11b. It's so awesome to watch him climb, he's so good at it and can make even the hardest routes look pretty easy.

We decided to go the long way back to the cars, which proved, for me, to be something of a mistake. Dude. It was hot out there today and I was pretty wiped out from the one climb I did. It took about an hour and a half to get back to the car. I was pretty far ahead of the rest of the group, and didn't really feel like waiting for them to arrive, so I left a note on Ann's car and headed back home.

Now one of the things I like to do after a long day of tramping through the woods is get a nice, big soda. There aren't many options for soda-buying on the way home, but there is a McDonald's® and if you can get the chance, a fountain soda is like the Holy Grail of sodas, so I was all too happy to stop. Ok. So here's the bad thing, while waiting in line, the sudden urge to get a fat-fried, fake-meat-product dinner overwhelmed every other thought in my brain.

For those of you who haven't been keeping tabs on my eating habits of late, and I can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't be, this is a pretty rare occurence for me. Probably something like once a year I consume fast food. I mean, have you seen Supersize Me? Anyway, it was supremely delicious and more than satisfying.

Immediately afterward I was consumed with guilt - for the Amazon rainforest, the ozone layer and any lingering effects on my cardiovascular system.

I think I'm gonna just lie here and moan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.