6.18.2006

blue sky

I woke up today still a little sore from bouldering on Thurs. so instead of doing that I decided to go for another bike ride. My euphoria from my great ride yesterday was still mostly present so I decided to try something new and headed out to the Blue Sky Trail. The map makes it look fairly flat so I figure I won't kill myself too badly even though it's kind of long.

Um. Ok. The trail is extremely sandy (I think because it's a new trail, but maybe just because it's been so frickin' dry out here this year) which makes for some pretty hard pedaling. And can we talk about the major ups and downs? It's also definitely high desert area which equals no shade. So. Hot. Technically the BST is extremely easy compared to Hewlett Gulch, i.e. hardly any rocks to speak of, but it has some wicked sharp turns and some pretty intense climbs. Thus requiring amounts of strength and endurance which I just do not possess today. I make it to the Indian Summer Trail turnoff and decide to turn around and head back to the car.

On the way back I take a fairly serious header, my first one of the summer.

Catalogue of injuries:
1. I wrench the same shoulder I seem to wrench every time I fall. By the time I'm 50, I'll be surprised if I have any range of motion.

2. A nice scrape up the entire outside of my right leg which will probably result in a pretty sweet bruise later this week.

3. I did something to my left thumb. I don't think it's broken, but my kung fu grip is no longer functioning.

I may have to take it easier than planned for the rest of the week.

I was also stupid and paid for parking. While I was on the trail I saw a ton of people and I kept wondering where they were all coming from because there was only one other car in the parking lot. Then, on the way back, I saw the free option that everyone else was smart enough to use. If you decide you want to park for free, it's about 1/8 of a mile in on the left. If you hit the RV campground on the right, you've gone too far. It's small, so I bet it fills up pretty fast.

Next time BST. Next time you're mine.

No comments: